This old lighthouse in the historic town of Lahaina, Maui, was the first commissioned by King Kamehameha III in 1840 as an aid to navigation for the whaleboats coming ashore for rest and recreation. It began as a nine foot wooden tower that was increased to 26 feet in 1866. The light was provided by a whale oil lamp, kept burning by a Hawaiian caretaker who was paid $20 per year. It was rebuilt in 1905 and the present concrete structure was dedicated by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1916. Thus, the light was the first in the Hawaiian islands and predates any lighthouse on the U.S. Pacific Coast.